The entire quiz will cover 15 questions in each of 8 genres (categories). The genres are Culture, Entertainment, History, Lifestyle, Media, Science, Sport, and World (described in detail at the end of this document). Participants must be under the age of 19 years on the day of the event and take the quiz individually with no reference materials.
Documents for each half of the quiz will contain 60 questions, divided into 4 genres. Among the 8 total genres presented, the best 7 genre scores of any given individual are aggregated to determine competition placing. A lowest genre score will serve as a tiebreaker.
1. Prior to the start, all participants must write their name on the cover sheet, and after the start the first action for participants should be to write their name or initials on all subsequent sheets.
2. A participant has 45 minutes in each half to answer as many of these questions as possible. Only correct answers count towards scoring, and there is not a penalty for incorrect answers.
3. The icon → indicates that there is an image available at the end of the section related to the numbered question.
4. Unless stated in the question, last names will suffice. However, if you give the wrong forename, your answer will be incorrect!
5. Answers should be written within the numbered space next to the text of question. Answers are typically just one to several words in length and do not include calculations.
6. Phonetically correct answers will be accepted – this is a test of knowledge NOT spelling.
7. The Junior World Quizzing Championships is a test of individual knowledge and thus no research tools are to be used and there must be no conferring between participants.
8. If a participant has finished before the expiry of 45 minutes, they may leave their seat, but should leave their quiz with the cover sheet facing up. After leaving their seat a participant cannot return to work on the quiz. All participants must respect the need for other participants still quizzing to be free of distractions.
9. Depending on the amount of available quiz management personnel, papers will either be turned in for marking, or may be swapped with another participant for marking at the end of each half of the quiz. If being marked by another participant, the marker in one half should be different to the one who checked the work of a given participant in the other half.
10. After the four genres have been marked, each participant will get their paper back and will have a 5 minutes to check that they agree with the marking. Disputes must be referred to the proctor in this time. Individuals should indicate which answer(s) they are querying with a large “?” question mark. The proctor is the official adjudicator for each site and their decision is final.
11. At the end of marking, the person marking should copy the scores into the table on the cover sheet. After resolving any disputes (see item 10. above), each participant should sign next to the score to confirm. The complete quiz should then be handed in (to be returned later after it has been complied). Once a quiz has been signed off and handed in, no further discussions will be entered into about the score of any participant. The score signed for will be considered to be correct.
12. The overall highest scoring player from all participating venues will be the IQA’s Junior World Quizzing Champion, that of the best seven marks out of eight possible categories. There may be other competitions and recognitions at the local, regional, or national level.
13. In the event of a tie, the score dropped as lowest scoring genre by an individual participant will be taken into consideration. If there is still a tie, the participant with the highest scoring in any genre will win. If there is still a tie the participant whose next best score (from any category) is highest (and so on) will be deemed the winner.
14. In the event of any unprecedented occurrence or unforeseen circumstances arising in the course of the quiz, the proctor may give a ruling on the matter and their decision shall be final.
15. Participant commencing to answer questions herein indicates their complete and unequivocal acceptance of these rules.
We hope you find the quiz both challenging and enjoyable. Good luck!
--The International Quizzing Association (IQA) team